For Mother's Day this year, I decided to make something special for my mom. (I hope she doesn't read this before Sunday!) She is buying a new house in a new town soon, and I wanted her to have something unique...a one of a kind piece. So I made THIS:
Here are the supplies you'll need:
- Scrabble board and letters
- any strong adhesive (E6000 is always a good choice)
- strong ribbon (I used grosgrain)
- large popsicle sticks (optional)
Once you have the supplies, the process is so simple:
- Decide what names you want to use (I used my mom and dad, their kids and spouses, plus all of our children...15 in all).
your Scrabble tiles, incorporate all of the names onto the Scrabble
board, as though you are playing a game of Scrabble. This may be a long
process - it's not easy!
- Once you know where each name will fit, begin gluing the letters down one at a time, making sure each tile is secure.
- Give the letters a chance to dry - at least several hours, preferably overnight.
- Once the letters are dry, flip the board over and use the popsicle sticks to make the board more sturdy by gluing a row of them at the fold of the board. (This keeps the board from folding up.)
- Cut your chose ribbon to your desired length - I did a 16 inch piece and glue the ends to the back of the board.
- Allow to try overnight..and voila!
You can customize this as much you'd like: cover the board with fabric or paper for a more decorative finish, add photos to the board, paint your letter tiles, cut the board down and have it fit into a frame...the possibilities are endless.
I like the simplicity of the board by itself. I think it's graphic and fun, perfect for a play room, game room, or basement.
Please, let me know if you make this and how you do yours. I'd love to hear about it.