Pages

Jun 28, 2013

Your Grocery Shopping Rut - Dare to be Different


I don't know about you, but when it comes to cooking, no matter how hard I try to "think outside the box", it never works.  I always end up with the same 8-10 basic meals ALL....THE....TIME.  I mean, how am I supposed to encourage my kids to be adventurous in their eating when I don't cook that way!?

So recently, I came up with an idea that inspired me, and I hope it will inspire you.

On your next trip to the grocery store, try this:  replace EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING, in your usual shopping cart with something different.  And just to clarify, I don't mean trading Ruffles for Wavy Lays or Aunt Jemima for Mrs. Butterworth.  I mean PICK SOMETHING DIFFERENT.  Now, I'll let you have your staples:  milk, eggs, etc.  But to really get in the spirit of it, anything you can trade out, DO IT.  Here are a few examples:

Instead of.........try
regular rice.......quinoa
ground beef.......ground turkey
chicken breasts.......pork loin chops
strawberries.......blueberries
pizza dough/crust.......Naan bread
ranch dressing.......balsamic vinaigrette 
low fat yogurt.......Greek yogurt
white flour.......unbleached 100% whole wheat flour
Fritos.......pita chips
orange juice.......grapefruit juice

See what I mean?  Get your family's taste buds moving.  Get out of the rut.  Your family may actually learn to like new things.  And if not, you might all lose a few pounds! 



1 comment: